Happy Reading

Toni's bookshelf: read

The Godfather of Kathmandu (Sonchai Jitpleecheep, #4)
Ape House
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Operation Napoleon
Walking Dead
The Sentimentalists
The Heretic Queen
The Midnight House
Cross Fire
Peony in Love
Absurdistan
Nefertiti
Finding Nouf: A Novel
City of Veils: A Novel
First Daughter
A Place of Hiding
Amagansett
Peter Pan


Toni Osborne's favorite books »
}

Sunday, September 8, 2013

"The Casual Vacancy", by J.K. Rowling

I have not much to say on J.K. Rowling first novel for adult readership. Rarely do I give up on a novel “The Casual Vacancy” made the list. After labouring through 250 pages I simply couldn't waste more precious reading time on a very boring story concerning a parish council election in a small West Country town. This story is an unadventurous study of provincial life with some superficial excitements. A large cast of young characters taking drugs, swearing and having sex weaves through a multiple and interlocking plots that are flat-lined by predictability. I wasn't able from the start to immerse myself in the people I found them very frustrating and a real farce. I gave up….that is all I can say.

No comments: