Happy Reading

Toni's bookshelf: read

The Godfather of Kathmandu (Sonchai Jitpleecheep, #4)
Ape House
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Operation Napoleon
Walking Dead
The Sentimentalists
The Heretic Queen
The Midnight House
Cross Fire
Peony in Love
Absurdistan
Nefertiti
Finding Nouf: A Novel
City of Veils: A Novel
First Daughter
A Place of Hiding
Amagansett
Peter Pan


Toni Osborne's favorite books »
}

Thursday, September 12, 2024

"Suspicious Looking Packages", by Gregory Delaurentis



The Bomb Squad: a Crime Story

New York, 1940 an explosion at the World’s Fair leaves the city on edge. A pipe bomb is found hidden in a red sock… the first device of the sort delivered leaving a strong message to the city. Who is this madman leaving a trail of devastation and brought three detectives at the heart of this nightmarish puzzle.

My thoughts:

I had a terrible time with this story and apologize to the author for not giving him full credits. I was hooked by the cover story I though stepping aside from my usual read would give me another view I rarely step unto. My error.

What I found excellently done is the story has a feel of authenticity: men in the 40’s wore spiffy clothes, fedora hats, had greasy hair and depending of the job status used very colourful languages: picture them holding a cigarette in one hand and whiskey in the other hand chatting with their colleagues and criticizing their wives. We read this page after pages yes once in a while they are sent on a defusing mission… But the development is so slow I actually had to skip pages of never ending day to day life till yes once in a while they have a bomb to diffuse. In my books the exciting parts are too short and lack excitement…. Or was my negativity regarding this story the fact that I skipped too many pages?

This story did not gel for me but you may like it, so don’t judge this story by my feelings give it a go if the hypnosis appeals to you.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.

No comments: