Happy Reading

Toni's bookshelf: read

The Godfather of Kathmandu (Sonchai Jitpleecheep, #4)
Ape House
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Operation Napoleon
Walking Dead
The Sentimentalists
The Heretic Queen
The Midnight House
Cross Fire
Peony in Love
Absurdistan
Nefertiti
Finding Nouf: A Novel
City of Veils: A Novel
First Daughter
A Place of Hiding
Amagansett
Peter Pan


Toni Osborne's favorite books »
}

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

"Break-Up Pact", by Emma Lord




I really stepped away from my usual genre tackling this deeply emotional novel. One side of me says I loved it yet the other tells me what a boring book....How do I get out of this conundrum and say my true feelings without getting in trouble...ok I may be exaggerating a bit.

The story in a few words:

June and Levi were two best friends who haven’t spoken in ten years pretend to date after break-ups with their respective exes go viral. They both experienced public, humiliating break-ups with their exes that spread like wildfire across TikTok and daytime talk shows alike. By doing this subterfuge June hopes to get back on her feet and Levi wish his ex. realize she made a mistake and comes back.....

My thoughts:

The positive and the negative:

Emma Lord’s writing is very enthusiastic and moving. She beautifully blends humour and emotional depth in one smooth stroke. The story in its own is cute and the characters are well defined. The author also has a beautiful style if you like mushy and extremely slow story. The plot is so slowed down by June’s frequent monologues in which she expresses her emotions and past experiences...over and over. I often wish things would speed a bit but no, I almost fell asleep, unfortunately, so bored I became that was happy to see the very predictable ending in sight. This fiction was not for me: messy bits of heartbreak, crying, run-ins with exes and the multiple crisis got to be too much for me.

This story about love, friendship and self-discovery is not for everyone but to those believing in magic of love will simply adore “The Break-Up Pack”. So far I seemed to be an exception in thinking this is a boring fiction...Judge for yourself.

I received this ARC from St-Martin Press via Netgalley for my thoughts: this is the way I see it.

No comments: