Happy Reading

Toni's bookshelf: read

The Godfather of Kathmandu (Sonchai Jitpleecheep, #4)
Ape House
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Operation Napoleon
Walking Dead
The Sentimentalists
The Heretic Queen
The Midnight House
Cross Fire
Peony in Love
Absurdistan
Nefertiti
Finding Nouf: A Novel
City of Veils: A Novel
First Daughter
A Place of Hiding
Amagansett
Peter Pan


Toni Osborne's favorite books »
}

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

"Sisters Under the Rising Sun", by Heather Morris




Although fictional this moving tale is based on the life of women who were internees of Japanese camps based in Indonesia during WW11. Their stories was overlooked by history and had to be told. Ms. Morris shares with us three years and seven months of their stay as POW. Among the internees were Dutch nuns, Dutch and English civilians as well as Australian nurses. The story mainly centers on Nesta, Ena and Norah who fought side by side to help whoever they could.

The novel is divided into three parts and is narrated from the perspectives of Norah and Nesta as they take turn chapter to chapter. It is said in a tone that is rather flat and neutral, I felt absolutely no bond with the characters they seemed cold and withdrawn. Could it be that relating a story second or third hands may have lost its sparkles down the line. The people represented here deserved full recognition. Unfortunately I found it difficult to be invested; the pacing is too slow, too monotonous and lacks vitality. I stayed with this story not because I enjoyed it but I wanted to know more about its historic facts. Overall I admit to be disappointed with the novel but still I appreciate that Ms. Morris brought to light a story of women in war, their sisterhood, their bravery and friendship. Although I may be overly critical here but I must say “Sisters Under the Rising Sun” is a rather exceptional story worth reading.

My thanks to St-Martin’s Press and Netgalley for this ARC

No comments: