Happy Reading

Toni's bookshelf: read

The Godfather of Kathmandu (Sonchai Jitpleecheep, #4)
Ape House
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Operation Napoleon
Walking Dead
The Sentimentalists
The Heretic Queen
The Midnight House
Cross Fire
Peony in Love
Absurdistan
Nefertiti
Finding Nouf: A Novel
City of Veils: A Novel
First Daughter
A Place of Hiding
Amagansett
Peter Pan


Toni Osborne's favorite books »
}

Thursday, August 6, 2020

"Map of the Impossible", by J.F. Penn

Book 3, of the Mapwalker fantasy adventure trilogy.

I must say dark fantasy novels are not my preferred reading experiences and I rarely read them but I make exception when it comes to Ms. Penn. To be fair to the author and to myself I will say what I like about the book and I will also say what I like the least.

The Mapwalker Fantasy trilogy:
- Map of Shadows #1
- Map of Plagues #2
- Map of the Impossible #3

I am a huge fan of her Arkane series and was quite taken by the Sins series also, so when this trilogy was offered for my thoughts I jumped right in and said yes sent me the books. Thank you for doing so Ms. Penn.

In a few words:

Sienna and the Mapwalker team will use the Map of Impossible for their journey through the realm of the dead and face the challenges and the nightmare that awaits them. Can’t they reach their goal before it is too late?

What I like:

The blend of psychology and supernatural written with richness of words, each movement is vividly painted, although extremely dark but most of all full of lively descriptions…very wicked ones most of the time. Ms. Penn is very creative in her story and she loves to include creepy characters and supernatural happenings in order to propel us into a world of fantasy.

What I like the least:

Terror, darkness and “impossible” action. A storyline out of this world totally “impossible” played out by characters that weave spells, flames out of their hands, creepy creature at every corner, lead characters facing “impossible” situation and jumping, twirling in the air, kick boxing….dead birds coming back to life…brrrrrrrrrrr ”Impossible” is the correct word but again this is a fantasy and should be “Impossible”. In a few words the storyline didn’t gel for me but the way it is said is excellent and will please fans of this genre.

Since this story was not my cup of tea, I suggest you do not take my words for it and judge for yourself.

No comments: